Friday, January 16, 2009

Saturday morning

Cookie and I were talking about cartoons last night. I remember when cartoons were something special, when you woke up on Saturday morning all excited because cartoons were on. We would get up and eat our cereal, and you had to be done before Super Friends came on. This was my favorite cartoon. It ran from 1973 to 1986 on ABC as part of its Saturday Morning cartoon lineup.

The first segment of every show featured two of the heroes (for the purposes of the team-ups in the first and fourth segments, Batman and Robin were considered 'one hero') teaming up in a separate mini-story. The second segment featured a story with the Wonder Twins (Wonder Twin powers activate, they were my favorite). The third segment was considered the "primary" adventure of the week which featured the entire Super Friends roster (including the Wonder Twins) in a longer adventure. The fourth and final segment featured a story with one of the primary lineup along with a "special guest star." The fourth segment typically featured a problem that was solved using the guest star's unique abilities.
Then they added Challenge of the Super Friends. These stories introduced the Legion of Doom a team of thirteen recurring foes who are the Super Friends’ worst enemies. They used a swamp-based mechanical flying headquarters, the Hall of Doom as a suitable contrast with the Super Friends’ gleaming Hall of Justice.

And then there was Captain Caveman. It was originally broadcast as a segment on the package shows Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics and Scooby's All-Stars. You would always find yourself cheering for your favorite team on Scooby.Captain Caveman's powers include super-strength, a variety of useful objects hidden inside his fur, and a club that allows him to fly and from which pops out different tools he uses to fight crime. His trademark is his battle cry of "Captain CAAAAAAAVEMAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!"

And then Schoolhouse Rock! (this is a post all of its own). Schoolhouse Rock! is a series of animated musical educational short films that aired during Saturday morning cartoons. Topics covered include grammar, science, economics, history, math and politics.
I watched cartoons all on the same channel. I am not sure if they were not on other channels or if I was just too lazy to get up off my camel colored chair to turn the dial. No, we did not have a remote, it was manual baby!!!

************************************************************

Off to Indy...will catch up with everyone later this weekend.

7 comments:

I Am Woody said...

Every once in a while, I'll catch myself singing "Conjunction junction, what's your function...."

mom x 2 said...

My favorite Schoolhouse Rock was "I'm just a bill" - can't find the good ones on tv now. Unless you are up at 3am watching Nick at Night

Stay warm ! & Have a good weekend!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

WoW~Loved me some Schoolhouse Rock!

Have an awesome weekend!

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Oh my gosh! I SO miss the Saturday morning cartoons! Do you remember Thundar the Barbarion? "Oookla! Ariel! We ride!!!" ha..ha..

Or my favorite "The Herculoids". The family on a creepy rock planet with the big blobby ghost thing, the Rhino that shot stuff out his horn and the pterodactyl that had laser beams!!

Cool Breeze said...

I can still remember the words to some of the Schoolhouse Rock segments. Like "3, it's a magic number" and "I'm just a bill".

Big Hair Envy said...

I still like to watch Schoolhouse Rock on Youtube!!!

Did anyone else have a major crush on Aquaman?

Holy Crappers said...

I remember every saturday, Shirley Temple movies were on. She rocked!!

#1